This report will help youth-parent teams to find ancestors in their family trees that have been overlooked in previous temple work. It finds cases where the previous temple work focused on one spouse while forgetting temple work for the other. Consequently the second spouse only has the ordinance of being sealed to a spouse. By finding these cases, typical church members who don't know where to start in doing family history can have success in new.familysearch.org even if at first it seems as though "all temple work is already done".
Required: Full Version of Roots Magic (about 30$)
If you don't have the full version, perhaps you live by a Family History Center? If you do, then you can use the free Roots Magic Essentials program to download family trees in your own home, and then use the 30$ version at a Family History Center to generate reports. You may bring the family trees on a USB thumb drive.
Step 1: Acquire three things of one of the members of the youth-parent team to download and search through their family tree:
a) Full name
b) Birth date
c) last 5 digits of the temple recommend number (or membership record number, available from the clerk's office.)
Step 2: Create a file using the family name of whom you are helping, following step 2 at Temple Ordinances Ready. In addition, after logging in for yourself, you will find a new link to "help another person". This is where you enter the items from Step 1 to download the other family's family tree.
Step 3: CUSTOM REPORT After an overnight import in step 2, you may create custom reports.
You won't need to do its 7, gathering ordinance status. The custom report won't use that information.
- Go to "Custom Reports" in the Reports Menu at the top (requires full 30$ version).
The following steps have images taken from Roots Magic 5.
- Click the New button
- Add 2 more columns by clicking this button to bring the total to 4:
- Give a name to each column "header"
Do this by selecting a header (in blue, see image) and then typing the name in the box by "cell type" at the top.
1st Column: Name
2nd Column: ID
3rd Column: LDS Baptism
4th Column: Sealed to Spouse
When done, it should look something like this:
- Select the Data Fields for each column. Highlight each section where it says "Row 1"
Then use the drop-down where it says "select field" to find the corresponding Data Fields:
1st Column: Name - Surname, Given
2nd Column: FamilyDearch ID
3rd Column: LDS Baptism date
4th Column: LDS Sealed to Spouse date
You can choose the header titles you want, but use the date fields for ordinances.
- Click "Options" to give the report a title such as "NameHere - Male Ancestors Sealed and Not Baptized"
You may want to make just one report based on the gender of the youth or you can make 2 reports, one for each gender.
- Click "OK" and give this report a name such as "Need Baptism" (this name is not seen in the printout).
- Now we will select the criteria to list only the persons we want.
Select the option "Select from list" in the section "People to include"
- Click "Mark Group", then select the option "Select people by data fields"
- Now is the important part: selection criteria
select the following by using the drop-down options:
Sex is male (or is female)
This is recommended because youth can only do baptisms for the same gender
LDS Baptism date is blank
LDS Sealed to spouse date is not blank
Be sure not to choose just "Baptism"-- choose "LDS Baptism".
- Click OK when ready. Make a note of the number of people it finds in the message "Marked ____ people".
You can use this number when saving the report later, such as "254 Male Ancestors..."
If it finds 0 persons, recheck your work; it should find some if you have a few thousand ancestors.
Note: You might want to save these settings to be used in a future report, but unfortunately, at this time it is not possible to save these settings. Each family tree must have the custom report made separately (at least in RM 5).
- Click OK, then click on "Generate Report"
- Finally you have a report you can give to someone else to introduce them to new.familysearch.org more easily.
Click "Save" and select the options for RTF and/or PDF.
It is probably best to use both formats in case one version doesn't work (this RTF won't work in WordPad, but it will work in Word, and most everyone has Adobe Reader).
- To make a list in the other gender, you can start over, this time click "edit" for the report you made.
Adjust the title to show the new gender and adjust the selection criteria for the new gender.
I recommend adding the number to the file name when saving to give a total to the family.
- You can now email these lists to the family along with the link to temple.buildzion.com for instructions.